Llama breeders listing & info
The Llama is a domesticated South American camelid, widely used as a meat and pack animal by Andean cultures since pre-Hispanic times.
Llamas are very social animals and live with other llamas as a herd. The wool produced by a llama is very soft and lanolin-free. They are intelligent and can learn simple tasks after a few repetitions. When used as a pack animal, llamas can carry up to 30% of their body weight for 5-8 miles.
Using llamas as livestock guards in North America began in the early 1980s, and some sheep producers have used llamas successfully since then. They are used most commonly where larger predators, such as the coyote, are prevalent. Typically, a single gelding (castrated male) is used. Using llamas as guards has lowered or eliminated the losses to predators for many producers. The value of the livestock saved each year more than exceeds the purchase cost and annual maintenance of a llama. Although not every llama is suited to the job, most are a viable, nonlethal alternative for reducing predation, requiring no training and little care.
Llama - Physical Facts
Life span - 20 - 30 years
Height - 5.5 - 6ft at the shoulder
Weight - 280 - 450 lbs
- Creature Comforts Cottage, Dianne Fitzmaurice
- CAGBA Registered Coloured Angora Goats Suri & Huacaya Alpacas & Llamas
- Box 478 Gimli MB R0C 1B0
- 204-642-1261 email@example.com www.creaturecomfortscottage.com
- Deep South Farm, Anna Smith
- Box 35, Ogema, SK S0C 1Y0
- 306-459-2885 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dunroamin Hollow (Llee's Llamas), Lee, Christina & Camryn Moltzahn
- Box 944 Fort Macleod, AB T0L 0Z0
- 403-892-4929 email@example.com
- Halfpint Llamas, Carmen Peters
- 1036 Chaster Rd, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V4
- 604-886-8268 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Misty Morn Llamas Breeders of Suri, Silky & Argentines
- 1041 Zion Line Beachburg, ON K0J 1C0
- 613-582-3277 www.mistymornllamas.ca
- Sabins Farm, Jim & Saga Sabin
- Katahdins, Llamas
- 199 Shannon Rd, Plainfield, ON K0K 2V0
- 613-477-3443 email@example.com
If you wish to see your farm listed on this page, please contact us.