Wool Preparation Guide
- About Wool
- Wool Preparation Guide
The more care you take with your sheep, the better value you will get for your wool clip.
The type of feed, bedding, medicine etc all have an impact on your final wool payment. This starts long before you even think of shearing the sheep.
- Free PDF downloads available for fleece preparation, before shearing, after shearing, packing frames, balers etc
- Shareholder Wool Shipper Loyalty Reward Program
- Become a CCWG shareholder
- Wool Preparation Incentive Rebate
Improved Quality = Increased Returns
A Guide for the Care & Handling of your Wool Clip is full of useful tips and how to's that every wool producer should read. The more care you take with your sheep, the better value you will get for your wool clip. The type of feed, bedding, medicine etc all have an impact on your final wool payment. This starts long before you even think of shearing the sheep.
Wool Preparation Incentive Rebate (WPIR) - info below
⇔ Download your copy today for better $$ return on your wool clip.
Printed copies also available upon request or pick one up the next time you are into the store.
The Co-operative publishes an annual magazine / catalogue which is designed to assist the wool producer with information and a mail order catalogue for sheep & livestock supplies.
Phone, fax or email to request your free copy today and you will be added to our annual mailing list.
613-257-2714 fax: 613-257-8896
Download the PDF for catalogue ad rates
Wool Production in Canada / La production lainière au Canada
Wool Growth / Physiologie de la laine
Good flock management / Bonne gestion du troupeau
Characterisitcs / Caractéristiques
Harvesting / Récolter
Marketing / Commercialisation
Increased wool production / Amélioration génétique
Wool Handling and Preventing Wool Contamination video DVD
Learn how to handle wool and prevent contamination for better value on your wool clip.
If interested, please send email with name and address (shipping & handling charges may apply).
Maximizing your Wool Cheque With Brian Greaves
Brian explains the "how's and why's" of good shearing practices, wool handling and how to get the best possible return for your wool clip.
Shareholder Wool Shipper Loyalty Reward Program (SWSLRP)
The Board of Directors have approved a loyalty reward program proposed by management for CCWG shareholders that are also wool shippers. The purpose of this loyalty reward program is to recognize shareholder / wool shippers with a rebate on their wool clip.
Following each year-end and depending on the overall profit from all company business, the Board of Directors will allocate a percentage of the years profit to a reserve account for (SWSLRP). The rebate will then be paid to shareholder / wool shippers in the form of a CCWG profit sharing coupon which can be redeemed for purchasing products at any CCWG branch location. The profit sharing coupon will have an expiry date of 3 years from date of issue, will not have a cash surrender value, will not be transferable and the original must be presented at time of redemption. This will be an added bonus for shareholder / wool shippers in addition to the standard shareholder benefits such as the dividend, discount plan etc. The calculation for the rebate will be based on the net weight of the current fiscal years wool clip at a pre-determined rate in cents per pound. It has been at 7¢ per pound for the last several years.
The original coupon must be presented at time of redemption.
Wool Preparation Incentive Rebate (WPIR)
- Currently a bonus 2-8¢ per pound is paid on the total net weight of the wool clip (all grades including offsorts)
- Eligibility is based on bright high yielding wool clips that have been well prepared and skirted with offsorts separated from main fleeces by a newspaper divider or packaged in a separate bag.
- Shipped in well packed sacks.
Explanation: The objective of the wool preparation incentive is to reward producers with a bonus for those that have taken the time and effort to present a clean, well prepared and packaged wool clip for grading and marketing. At the time of wool grading, our wool grader assesses if the producers clip qualifies for the bonus, depending on the quality and presentation of the wool clip. Offsorts are defined as the bellies, stained wool and tags.
for fleece preparation before shearing, after shearing, packing frames, balers etc
- Code of Practice for Wool Preparation
- Instructions de Préparation de la Laine
- The Dumfries House Wool Declaration
- NFACC Sheep Code of Practice Link to NFACC website
- Mouton code de pratiques Lien vers le site NFACC
- Guide for the Care & Handling of your Wool Clip
- Wool Production in Canada
- La production lainière au Canada
- Fleece Judging Cards - Carte de jugement des Toisons
- Sample Wool Grading Statement
- Objective Measurement of Wool
- Before Shearing / Shearing Tips
- Use Sheep Behaviour to your Advantage
- Fleece Sorting Table Plans
- Plans for a Fleece Packing Frame
- Plans for a Retangular Wool Sack Stand
- Electric Wool Baler
- Using Paint & Markers to Identify Sheep