Congratulations to Pauline Bolay!
A Canadian shearer who set a new world shearing record in a Waikato
woolshed on Saturday has paid tribute to a New Zealand shearing
couple who were the inspiration for the challenge.
Pauline Bolay, who works for a shearing contractor in Waikaretu, smashed the women's solo eight-hour strongwool lambs record of 507.
Pauline Bolay from Manitoba will be in New Zealand for the Women's 8 hour Lamb World Record attempt on December 10, 2019.
CCWG Wool Market and Business Update – Fall 2019
2018 / 19 Wool Market Update
The wool market has been experiencing quite a rough ride for the current wool marketing year. During the first quarter the market seemed to be on track for stable conditions with both fine wool and crossbred types achieving reasonable prices and demand. There were expectations at the time that good progress was being made for a new China / USA trade agreement.
This situation however was short lived from April onwards as a number of factors came into play. Traditionally the market for wool is at its best and consumer confidence is greatest when there is positive growth in global economies and a stable worldwide political environment. The current situation of widespread indecision and uncertainty has had a detrimental effect on all value chain partners within the entire wool textile industry. China is the world’s largest market for woolen garments of which approximately 45% is for domestic consumption and the remaining 55% for export. The escalation of the China / USA...
The 101st Annual General Meeting of the
Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited
October 19th 2019
Old Orchard Inn & Spa, 153 Greenwich Rd South, Greenwich, Nova Scotia B4P 2R2
2019 has been a big year for France on the international stage.
France was the host nation for the Championnat du Monde de Tonte de Moutons (World Sheep Shearing and Woolhandling Championship). Delegations of 34 countries converged at the village of Le Dorat from July 1st - 8th for a week of events occasionally referred to as the Olympics of shearing.
Canadian Cooperative Wool Growers Limited sponsored veteran worlds competitor Donald Metheral of Ontario and Pauline Bolay of Manitoba as Canada’s machine shearers, as well as a woolhandling team consisting of Amber Peterson of Prince Edward Island and Allison Preston of Alberta.
The week began on July 1st as teams arrived in France and made their way to Limoges a city near Le Dorat for a Speed shear and concert to welcome them. Tuesday, July 2nd, was a training day, with the teams traveling to local farms to practice on the local sheep breeds that would be used in the competition. While competitors were busy preparing: family, friends, and other supporters were offered a selection of farm tours to the area, as Le Dorat is part of the famous Limousine region of France....